A Local Firm,

A World Of Experience.

Photo of the legal professionals at Hall Ansley, P.C.

Can I get a second opinion for my workers’ comp?

On Behalf of | Jul 6, 2018 | Firm News, Workers' Compensation |

Completing your Missouri workers’ compensation process can be delicate. You do not want to prematurely close off your options for receiving compensation before you understand the full extent of your injuries as well as the treatments and/or rehabilitation efforts you will require. One way to alleviate your worries is to seek a second doctor to examine you before you settle your claim.

According to the Missouri Department of Labor, an important reason to seek a second opinion is when an insurer tries to settle with you. There are sound reasons to settle a claim. Some injured workers may feel that all of their concerns have been addressed and that there is nowhere else to go with their claim. Also, depending on the case, a worker may even secure promises from an insurance company to provide future benefits or payments.

However, no one should be forced into a settlement. If you have lingering doubts, settling may not be the wisest option. You can tell your insurer about your concerns and wait for them to respond to you before deciding to settle or not. Still, you may not feel comfortable until you have gotten a different doctor to confirm that your current course of treatment is sound and does not need to be altered.

Missouri law does not require insurance companies to provide you with a second doctor. This does not mean that you cannot ask the insurance company for a second opinion. They might comply with your request if you ask. If the insurer refuses, you will likely have to pay for another doctor either with your own personal insurance coverage or out of your own pocket. If you want to look for other options, any injured worker can consult with legal counsel to find out if further options exist regarding a second opinion.

This article is intended to educate readers on Missouri workers’ compensation options and is not intended as legal advice.

FindLaw Network