MICHAEL P. MERGEN
Mike Mergen graduated Magna Cum Laude from Southwest Missouri State University in May, 1985, with emphasis in Pre-Law. In 1988, he received his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Missouri School of Law, where he graduated in the top 10% of his class, and was an Editor of The Journal of Dispute Resolution. He was number one in his class in the Labor Law area. He began his legal career in Kansas City, Missouri and then relocated his law practice to Springfield in May, 1991, when he joined the Hall, Ansley law firm.
Mike has devoted his entire legal career to helping people who have suffered an injury at work. In the last twenty-six years, he has successfully represented thousands of injured workers. He has tried hundreds of workers’ compensation trials. He has been the Chairman of the Workers’ Compensation Section of the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association, and has spoken at numerous continuing legal education seminars on the topic of workers’ compensation.
He also is licensed to practice in Kansas and actively represents the interests of injured Kansas workers. He received the Equal Access to Justice Award for outstanding service to the clients of Legal Aid of Southern Missouri.
He has served on the Board of Directors of Kids' Chance, which provides financial scholarships for children of permanently or catastrophically injured or deceased workers to complete their education. He is a graduate of Leadership Springfield, sponsored by the Springfield Chamber of Commerce.
Personal: Mike is married, with two grown daughters. In his spare time, he enjoys golf and his grandchildren.
Mike Mergen recently accepted peer nomination to join the Workers’ Injury and Law Group (WILG), a national non-profit membership organization dedicated to representing the interests of millions of workers and their families who each year require expert legal assistance to obtain medical care and relief under State workers’ compensation programs. WILG is a network of advocates for workers’ rights with members in all 50 states and is an important national voice for workers in need of quality legal representation.
- Workers' Compensation in Missouri and Kansas
- Kansas, 1988
- Missouri, 1991
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri
- University of Missouri Columbia School of Law, Columbia, Missouri
- Juris Doctorate
- Southwest Missouri State University
- Equal Access to Justice Award for outstanding service to the clients of Legal Aid
- Peer Nominated Member of Workers Injury and Law Group
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association- Workers' Compensation Section, Chairman
- Leadership Springfield Program
- Legal Aid of Southern Missouri, Board of Directors
- Kids' Chance, Inc., Board of Directors
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Member
- Workers' Injury and Law Group (WILG), Member, Present