Hall Ansley, P.C. - Springfield Lawyer
Call Today for a Free Initial Consultation



Your rights and medical care center transfers: What you must know

On Behalf of | Oct 15, 2019 | Firm News |

One of the only ways to ensure that you get the best possible medical care is to take control and advocate for yourself. That is not always the easiest thing to do. This is especially true if you want to transfer your care to a higher care center in Missouri.

If you experience a lot of issues when asking for a transfer, you are not alone. This is common practice. However, you have every right to make requests about your medical care, including asking for a transfer, according to U.S. News and World Report. Whether you do not trust the care you are getting at the current facility or you prefer to get care from a different facility, you may find it is tricky to get anyone to listen to you.

Your right but no advocate

While you certainly can request a transfer, it is not easy because you may not know who to ask. Your primary caregivers may not listen to you. Your doctor may not care or want you to leave the current facility for whatever reason. In any case, there really is nobody you can go to and make this request who will set things in motion.

What you can do

You do have some options when nobody seems to be listening to you. You can always sign yourself out of the current facility and go check into the new one. Of course, you need to make sure your insurer will allow this and that the new facility will take you in.

Somebody listens

If you get lucky and someone listens to your request for a transfer, it still probably will not go far. That is because the other facility must accept you. This is often where issues happen. You need to stand up and get things done. Your medical team probably does not have the time to mess around with getting the other facility on board. So, you and your family can take over and work to get your transfer approved and coordinated.

It is far easier to start out in the place you want to be, but that is not always possible. If you want to transfer out of the medical facility where you currently are, you can do it. It just may take some work.

FindLaw Network